View Single Post
Old 09-30-2011, 08:36 AM
Quiltinvaca

Originally Posted by Sophie2
Originally Posted by Quiltinvaca
I don't understand all the negative comments about kits.

First of all, who would buy a kit when they didn't love the fabrics/colors involved? When a quilt shop takes the time to select a pattern and then select beautiful fabrics (that I love) why not buy the kit? I understand the reasons for not buying from large on-line retailers but don't see how my creativity is stiffled(?) by using a one or two of a kind kit any more than it is by using Jelly Rolls, packets, etc.

Those who have complained about the size of the finished project obviously didn't read the information before buying.

I certainly don't want to argue, but feel that some of the comments have implied that anyone who uses a kit is lacking in creativity. This is simply not so -- kits have their place and I see nothing wrong with using them!
I agree with you. I also do not think I will see my quilt all over. Maybe it is because I don't go to that many quilters homes. I find that I use the patterns in the kits many times - using my selection of fabrics the second or third time around. Last year I bought a table runner pattern. Fabrics were nice and figured if I didn't want that one I could gift it, but I have used the pattern at least a dozen times. Well worth the money!
Oh goody -- glad to hear that you too re-use the kit pattern.

I just don't get the negativity. We've all used commercial patterns; copied exactly from a magazine; tried to copy a quilt we saw at a quilt show, etc. etc. Using a kit simply saves time and generally money. Re-using the pattern is a great way to really get your money's worth!