Thread: Local Shop Hop
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2011, 02:50 PM
QuiltE
Power Poster

When I go to a new shop, thanks to a Shop Hop, I tell them such when I arrive, and ask them what their special/unique features are. It's their chance to give me their tour and intro, and believe me, it's usually a very "royal" tour! Plus, if there are special giveaways or sales for Shop Hoppers, that doesn't get missed.

I go with a "mission"! That might be to purchase fabric for a specific project, or to learn about specific techniques, etc.

The month-long one this summer, my mission was the 4-B's ... Borders, Bindings, Battings and Backings. By telling them what my mission was, I was shown/told lots more than I'm sure I would have discovered on my own in many of the shops. It really is worthwhile to talk it up!

Note that the mission was not directly to purchase items. And guess what, none of the stores seemed to pressure me about that. Of course, some fabric and notions did follow me home, though what did, was with a more discerning eye, than when I used to just go without a plan of any sorts!