View Single Post
Old 09-30-2011, 05:54 PM
thepolyparrot

I'm not sure about the BabyLock modern machines, but with FMQ, my vintage machines all seem to do better at not looping on the back if I lean toward heavier tension on the needle thread, rather than on the bobbin.

The Magic Genie Bobbin Washers really are the bomb for the little tiny "nests" you can get on the backside of your quilts, (I LOVE them and won't FMQ without them in a vertical bobbin machine!) but they don't actually do much for the loops - those loops are a tension imbalance issue.

I would first try nudging the tension up (even way up) until the bobbin thread starts popping up to the top side, then back it down slowly, a tiny bit at a time until that isn't noticeable. If you're getting an acceptable appearance on the front and the back, the threads are twisting in between the top and bottom fabrics, which is just what you want.

Maybe leaving the feed dogs up and setting your stitch length to neutral or "0" is what it takes for that machine.

You're doing just fine, though and you're going to be surprised at how fast you catch on and go with this. It's so much fun! Congratulations for giving it a try! :)