View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 01:46 PM
Harmony

I had to work in downtown L.A. this morning, and I was dreading the drive! Traffic was a little heavier than usual, but I left early and got there in plenty of time. I was over near City Hall, about 3 or 4 miles away from the Staples Center, so I didn't even meet up with any closed off-ramps. The only evidence we saw that something was going on was lots of helicopters in the sky. I finished my job and was on my way home by noon, before the service ended, so I had no problems with traffic.

What I'd like to know is why the heck is the City of L.A. paying for this when they're forcing their employees to take furlough days???? Seems to me that if the family wanted to do something like this service, they certainly had the financial means to do it. Frankly, I think it's just more evidence of how we bow and scrape to "the stars" here. Same deal with the Lakers' parade--why do we need to pay for a parade for a bunch of already-rich men?

My own feeling is that funerals are private affairs. But I guess that's the way he lived his life, so maybe it's fitting that that's the way he leaves it. Hope he finally finds some peace.