Thread: Need Help
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Vanuatu Jill

So sorry about your good friend, but it is such a nice gesture to lovingly make her a quilt. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't do a "pink ribbon" quilt - only because once this is behind her, that quilt might remind her of her terrible journey during this time. But that is just how I would feel-I would want to make it in her favorite colors, or maybe with a theme that might mean someting to her - like if she has a special hobby, "collects" shoes, loves food, gardening, the rugges outdoors, etc. If she is a "girlie girl", lovely floral fabrics in rich colors might be nice. There are a ton of free patterns available on the internet which would be easy and quick to make, letting the fabric choices be the focal. Let us know what you decide and post pics when you can. We are here to help if you need anyting!

A thought, a rag quilt is cozy and warm with winter coming, and it doesn't need separate backing or binding!! Flannels would be lovely. They are simple squares sewn together with the front and back seams connecting the squares and rows all on the front, then cut in to fringe. When it is washed, it gets all soft and fuzzy and cuddly. At the top, do a search on "rag quilts" and several come up so you can see if you aren't familiar. These are very good for beginners and quick-plus are quilt-as-you-go, meaning you quilt each square before joining them.