View Single Post
Old 10-02-2011, 02:40 AM
miriam
Power Poster

I bought out a school - There were a BUNCH of 404s - all but one was repaired - that one was used for parts. That said here is my opinion. I gave one to my grand daughters and one to my great niece. If these were used in home ec back in the days when women learned to sew something was right - besides that they are simple enough to use - drop in bobbin (very hard to mess that up or loose parts) The needle threads front to back - less to remember. The machines are all metal - no plastic - no plastic gears - (a friend teaches sewing at Joann's - she says the newer plastic machines Joann's uses rarely make it through a set of classes. Get something that will hold up.) These machines have a great light - shines right on the slant needle... slant needle is easier to see. This is a good basic learn to sew machine. I've sold most of mine for about $50. These were all gone over and in working order and had new cords. I even learned to tune up the motors on these machines. Parts are available. Manuals are available. If you love it then move on up to a 401 or a 403.