Old 10-02-2011, 08:54 AM
hazeljane

I always strive to make quilts that I think will reflect the taste of the people I am making for. Sometimes I don't know them well.

My brother Patrick is getting married to a woman I really like, but have only met twice. I was at their apartment briefly two years ago. Hmmm. So, I started making a turning twenty quilt I have been thinking about for a while. Somehow, it didn't seem right. I sent a photo of the quilt laid out, and then called.

Patrick will love anything I make, but I really wanted Emily's opinion. It took me 20 minutes to get her to look at my quilts and give me some feedback. She finally confessed that she really loved my 1930's quilt, and loves the ones with white sashing. She felt so badly, and I corrected her- the other quilt will go to someone, or be raffled for a fund-raiser, but what I really want is to give them a quilt that THEY want.

So I am having a ball making a 1930's quilt with white sashing that they can treasure and use.

I also have to say again, I put my prayers and hopes for the recipient into the quilt. I also always tell them it is okay to pass it along if it is not to their taste. There is nothing wasted in my labor and intention- they are still there, and I want the quilt to be USED UP. Loved until it is in tatters. I don't make heirloom quilts. I make quilts to keep folks warm, body and soul.