View Single Post
Old 10-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

I went there and it simply brought up a variety of plans available in my zip code. I checked on a few of the plans, and they were all "savings" plans instead of insurance. So, basically you would contribute $150/year to the savings plan and in return get discounts of 25% to 50% on specific services.

I would expect that quality depends greatly on which plan you choose and which participating dentist you choose. I have found that dentists vary *wildly* in quality. For me, the specific dentist is a much bigger factor in determining what plan I might want than is the cost of the plan.

In the plans I looked at, there were no specifics provided about exactly which services got which discount, yet the user is expected to sign up online without knowing that information. That is not something I would do.

Another thing I wonder about is cost of services. This can vary from one dentist or clinic to another. So I can't help but wonder if a participating dentist might have a base charge higher than normal to compensate for any discounts he has to give to plan members.

For me, something like this just wouldn't fly unless I already knew a good dentist who participated in one of the plans. There are too many mediocre dentists out there......