Old 10-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Rosyhf

Story 2. Yesterday (Sunday) I was doing a Demo at my LQS for 5 hours. I was demostrating the latest thing in the fashion world. "Fabric Necklaces" I wasn't too thrilled with the idea but once I started to do them, I loved them. They are so neat, depending on the fabrics you use.

They are made out of one strip of fabric, cut on the bias, then knots are tied and styrofoam or wooden balls added. I used two different kinds of fabric and some one kind. These can be used instead of scarf and they are fabulous!

Here is how I did the ones I demoed. I cut a strip on the bias, 4 inches wide and 70 inches long. Sewed one end with a long stitch and sewed down the tube with a 1/4 inch seam, turned the tube with the one inch Fasturn at the sewed end and then took the thread out at that end. You need both ends open.

I then tied a knot in the middle, If using styrofoam balls, use your one inch fasturn tube. Put the ball at the end and slide it down close to the knot. Tie another knot and so on.. Be very gentle with tying the knots as you are working on the bias. Finish sliding the ball close to the knot with your fingers, tie the knot close to the ball, and work the knot with your fingers and a slight pull so as not to break the bias thread.

I mostly got it done with my fingers and the trick is to get the knot way close to the ball before tying.

The ends can be tied in the back or push one end into the other, fan it out, stick a piece of wonder under and press closed, you could put a trinket there on that spot.

A good way to do a strip so as not to waste time and do a lot of sewing. Cut a piece of fabric the same lenght as the width of the fabric. If the fabric is 45 inches wide, cut a piece 45 inch long. Tear off the selvage. Now when you fold one point of the fabric over to the other point, to get the bias, it is a perfect. Now cut along the fold and cut your strips from one piece of the fabric and cut more strips if you want the necklace longer. I like the strip at 90 inches too, it makes for a nice lenght.

Here is a link of a group, aren't they so attractive?

http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com...necklaces.aspx

I used two different fabrics on this one, here you can see the little fanned out area where you can put a trinket, this one is about 90 inches long and has wooded beads.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]265341[/ATTACH]

Here you can see where I sewed a clasp at one end and a toggle at the other so I could wear it around my head as head gear lol.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]265342[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-265288.jpe   attachment-265289.jpe