Old 10-03-2011, 04:18 AM
ThayerRags

Originally Posted by Janis
About the godzila finish on an old Singer, is it the dull rough black on a machine? Are there certain years that the machines were made in that finish? I'm thinking that they were during WW2, is this correct? Other years too? Are those machines really rare and more desired machines?
Yes, the textured finish has been referred to as “Godzilla” by SM hobbyists, but it was a popular finish for a number of metal items other than sewing machines during the 40s and 50s. I understand that it was popular to manufacturers from an economic standpoint, plus it was something “new & different” to attract buyers. Several SM makers used the textured finish in tones of black, brown, green, and possibly other colors.

Originally Posted by Janis
I've seen one with a dull black finish recently but the serial number had been removed, so I don't know what it is, nor when it was made. The only things that date it are on the bobbin cover plate are a series of patent dates with the latest being 1910, and it had a 'Singer' plate bolted on the arm instead of the decals. The book, or what part of it was there showed a treadle machine, and the motor on the machine was labeled Universal. I think it was a treadle made into an electric machine.
That machine sounds like it had been through “rehab” by an independent sewing machine repair shop (other than a manufacturer). It was common for shops to rebuild and electrify old machines to resell them for a profit, being common during WW2 when manufacturing of new machines was interrupted, and continuing on up into and during the 50s when rural electrification became wide-spread. The “Singer” Plate (along with many other brand names) was available from parts distributors for SM repair shops to re-label machines after being repainted. I have an old 1950s parts catalog that lists the plates for 20-cents each, $2.20/12, or $16/100.

I also have a 1906 Singer Model 28 that got the textured re-paint, a solid hand wheel, universal motor, universal light, and the Singer Arm Plate probably sometime in the 40s. The universal light mounting plate doesn’t completely cover the inspection hole on the machine.

CD in Oklahoma

1906 Singer 28 Rebuild
[ATTACH=CONFIG]265685[/ATTACH]

Universal Motor & Light
[ATTACH=CONFIG]265686[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-265632.jpe   attachment-265633.jpe