View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 03:36 PM
MsEithne

Originally Posted by bamamama
Originally Posted by NanaCsews2
If you click on Deb's blog link (from the original post)you will get the recipe.

http://debsquiltsandthings.blogspot.com/
Thank you Nana, my blog address was with my original post and it somehow disappeared. I suppose the Quilting Board police didn't like that I added it to my post????? Not sure what happened. I should have just posted the recepie here. Was not on the computer yesterday so I didn't see all this until this morning. Here's the recepie

Here’s how to make your own Spray Starch:
Measure a scant teaspoon of Argo Cornstarch or any other cooking type cornstarch. Dissolve it in a few TBSP of cold water in a 2 cup glass measuring cup then add boiling water to the 1 cup line and stir until totally dissolved. Add cold water to the 2 cup line. Put in a fine mist sprayer. (The kind you get from the beauty department of the drug store works best. Be sure to label the bottle.
Shake the bottle every time you spray. If white flaking occurs dilute with additional water. Shake well every time you spray.
If you have adequately heated (cooked) the starch, there's no need to shake it. Starch (any starch, not just cornstarch) works when it is mixed with liquid and then heated so that the starch granules absorb the liquid. Once the starch granules are completely cooked, they have absorbed all the liquid they can. Shaking won't help them absorb any more.

In fact, if you do radical "shaking" (put them in a blender) you can break down the starch solution because the rapidly whirling blades of the blender literally cuts the bags of starch open and thus breaks down the structure of the solution.

If, after adding the boiling water to the starch mixed with cold water, the solution doesn't turn clear, thick and glossy, I suggest you zap it in the microwave in 30 second increments to heat it up until the starch has been fully cooked.