View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 05:51 PM
sharoney

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Originally Posted by Learner747
Originally Posted by kriscraft99
this is the message when I sign into my PayPal:

Please provide us with your tax ID number. Your tax ID number lets us send you Form 1099-K, as required by the IRS under certain conditions. Find more information about the new tax rules and why we need your tax ID at www.paypal.com/irs

I just don't know why they need it if I only meet one of the stipulations - not both.

I have a small business that I run out of my home. I have a tax ID number that I got from the state of Texas that I use when I buy materials so I don't have to pay sales tax on items that I intend to use for my business. It is NOT my SS#. These are two SEPERATE numbers!

I guess I'll be making a phone call in the morning :roll:
Your tax I.D. is NOT your Social Security number! If you have a business registered with the State and Federal Governments, your State will assign you an I.D. number for you to charge sales tax to your customers &/or avoid paying sales tax on the merchandise and supplies you purchase for the operation of your business.
Yes, your SS number is your Tax ID!!! The only way your SS is not your tax ID is if you're a corporation!! You file your taxes with your SS number! The ONLY form you put an EIN on is the schedule C.