View Single Post
Old 07-08-2009, 03:41 PM
butterflywing

i have a very old machine with lots of gold decorations on it and on the cabinet. it was originally a treadle. nobody ever wired it. i have it because it's beautiful (to me). it's on the original stand. i don't know what it is. it has no id. the gold leaf bits are dragons. there are three drawers on each side and a center drawer. here's what i did:

i use the table/machine as an end table at the side of my sofa. i had a sheet of table glass cut the size of the flip-down part. when i have company, i flip down the cover, leaving the machine in the hole, and cover the hole with the glass. now i have an interesting exhibit as well as a good-sized table to serve off of. the table glass is strong enough to hold a stack of small dishes, napkins and silverware for or for use as a small bar. i've used it both ways.
i use the drawers for permanent storage of my good silverware. large spoons, small spoons, large forks, etc. great looking serving piece and no complaints about another machine. :mrgreen:

you could definitely do that with the flip-down singer if you like it. just clean up the cabinet. interesting old pieces are the best, aren't they? :wink: