View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 09:47 PM
auntpiggylpn

I posted recently about the shepherd that we adopted last week http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-157286-1.htm

Well, we took him to the vet today and they re-tested him for the heart worms. He is still a "low positive" which is good! Cooper is too skinny for treatment right now. When we got him on Thursday from the shelter, they said he weighed 75 lbs. I was pretty sure that wasn't accurate. Well, he weighed 64 lbs today at the vet!! The vet wants him to put on at least 10 lbs before the treatment is started so his immune system will be stronger to fight against the heart worms. So we have to wait 2 weeks and fatten him up a little. The vet was unaware that the only medication available for the the treatment is on indefinate backorder. He had 2 boxes on his shelf. I made him write Cooper's name on one box so it will be available when we bring him back in 2 weeks! He got treated today for intestinal worms as we have seen evidence that he has these. He also got his rabies shot.

The prognosis is good for this guy!!! We are soooo happy, I cried!!! I will keep everyone updated! Thanks so much for your kind words and prayers for this guy! Cooper really appreciates it!!

edited to add: I forgot to tell you that the Shelter waived his adoption fee and will give us $100 towards the heartworm treatment!!!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-266069.jpe