Old 10-05-2011, 04:11 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by Charlee
Hey Everyone!!! We have STITCHES at our house!! Hazel, "bless her heart" :lol: , wouldn't stitch. She set her presser foot down and firmly REFUSED to make a stitch, so...the SU (spousal unit) and I tag teamed the issue...I played for a bit, got frustrated and he took over. He broke a needle (at THREE bucks a needle, he was NOT Mr. Popular at that moment) he stepped away and I went back at it...he came back to help and together, we figured out that the race was extended out as far as it would go, causing the top thread to catch and hang up between the race and the shuttle causing it to miss the loop. Backed the race up just a hair and we all of the sudden had a stitchin' machine! Not one skipped stitch, tension perfect! :)

I'm a pretty happy camper right now! :)
Charlee, congratulations! Remind me - is your Hazel a New Vertical Feed or the original Vertical Feed? I believe it is the original older style. I have been putting on bindings with my "Betty," a old style Davis Vertical Feed like I believe yours is - pre 1900 -, but lately I have to go around my quilts twice to get a nice stitch. The first time around she does ok, then a few bunched up stitches - very loose, then ok again. When you are putting binding on a king/queen sized quilt, this is a lot of work. When I take the quilt out and just stitch with her, she is perfect! I'm beginning to think it is because of the weight of the quilt pulling? I really think I am keeping the quilt up without drag, but I wonder? I can't wait for you to put on a binding to see what your Hazel does!

Nancy