View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 07:07 AM
JenniePenny

Originally Posted by sunni
Oh boy, now I know why I stick to sewing other things LOL

Here is a picture of what I did.
I did have all the fabric the same whay when I cut, I did use the 1/4" foot that came with my machine and they are off as you can plainly see :(

robin
I ***think**** I can help you. At one time, I solidly believed that just by using the 1/4 inch foot, I would have 1/4 inch seams. Two years down the road, after trying to fudge everything to line up, and trim this block and stretch the other one, I finally saw some good advice, and that was to actually measure the seam. My seam allowance was too big. It wasn't 1/4"! I'd been duped! So, I learned that adjusting the stitch width on the machine was the same thing as when people refer to 'moving your needle to the right'. I know the exact setting on my machine (two clicks) which makes the needle come down exactly at 1/4" from the right edge of the fabric.
Yes, I still use the 1/4" foot, but basically that only guides the edge of your fabric along --- it doesn't measure anything.

Try this: take two carefully cut 2.5" squares, and sew them together. Press to one side, and measure the length of your little two-patch unit. It should be 4.5". It it is smaller than 4.5, your seam allowance is too big. Likewise, if your unit is bigger than 4.5, your seam allowance is too small. Now you can refer to your sewing machine manual on how to adjust the stitch width.

I'd be eager to know if this works for you.