Old 07-09-2009, 11:21 AM
butterflywing

Originally Posted by omak
http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/en...ic_cotton.html

This is an example of the description afforded by Dharma trading.com and it suggests this as a quilting fabric ... at $9 a yard for a width of 120", and a company that educates you as it sells you stuff, I would follow their lead and expect that much information from any purveyor of the supplies I desire.
i have been buying from dharma for years and years, and i have always come back to them for dyes and chemicals. BUT remember that dharma is primarily a DYE and CHEMICAL supply company, so their perception of quality may be different than yours. not wrong, just different. they're very into organic and i don't know if that's really necessary for quilting, especially considering the price. their fabrics are specifically made to suck up color and that also means any bleeding from colored fabric. i would suggest using retayne with their muslin.

if you're looking for soft, middle of the road, affordable muslin may i suggest joann's printed muslin? i hate joann's, but for $10 a yard you get 108", 100% cotton, printed muslin in many colors and designs. with your coupon, $5. like all muslin it will shrink shamelessly, but that is a good thing, because it tightens the weave. i've used it for backing and it's strong. i don't know if i would use it for binding, because that might rub it too thin. but on the flat areas, it quilts nicely and holds up well. you have to ask them where it is. it's usually hiding.