View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 10:32 AM
cjaye44

This past week my son asked if I could repair an old quilt I had given him years ago. My aunt made it in the late 50's before he was even born. The sides had pretty well disintegrated because she always just turned both edges in and overcast them by hand. I took it home and took a good look at it...my gosh...she had used two layers of cotton batting (the kind with all those dark seeds in it) and then hand quilted it. It weighs a ton which is why he likes it. Soooo...I cut my binding strips and take it over to my Janome which was already set up with the walking foot ...then struggle to get it under the presser foot and try to sew. No Way :cry: :cry: :cry: . It wouldn't take the first stitch.
So I wrestle the whole thing out of this machine and haul it over to the Singer 15-91 in its cabinet across the room...found my generic low shank walking foot for it...put in a size 16 Jeans needle and hit the gas. She never hesitated...just sewed that perfect straight stitch she has.
I find myself using my vintage machines much more than my newer computerized plastic models!! I do like some of their features like needle up/needle down and the needle threader but on the whole I prefer my older ladies.