Old 07-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Skeat

Originally Posted by b.zang
Ah, a colour book, what a fun idea.
I read "Color Magic for Quilters" and was inspired to create a fabric colour wheel, but that didn't get far beyond the initial collection and separation of colours so I still don't have one.
So, I'll confess to being colour challenged. I go with what I like, try to spread out in tones and hues, then read something else that makes me think, hmm, maybe I should be doing this. I think that ultimately my challenge is feeling disorganized in the way my fabric is stored. Wouldn't it be nice to have everything sorted like in a quilt shop? But I'm NOT going there with my stuff. I will not......I will not.....I will.........
That is my ultimate favorite(Color Magic For Quilters) and did I say 'favorite' color book???:)It is!! I had that book way before I ever started quilting. It does help organize the thought on color. Now, let me tell you that you can get too swallowed up in all the techno names for colors, etc.....I like to take a difficult situation and simplify! This book does help that too and in my previous art-it was a precious jem! Too many times we look at something, like a quilt and oooohhh....ahhhh...and you have to stop and ask yourself the big question...is it the pattern?The colors?What made you stop and hold your breath?:)
I have my fabric divided in certain groups such as 30's, Christmas, Halloween/fall....then I have my retro groups and antique looking reproductions.....there some of it works in a group and some just don't. Like the repro's....I have the defin. groups of yellow/golds, blues, blacks, reds, etc. Then you have an obnoxious piece that looks like the aliens delivered it here ! How else would that piece be here??I have always set that piece aside and decided what color is the dominate color in the fabric...then it goes in that catagory. She talks about that in the book. :)Great ideas!
I also know from past experiences in past arts that you will find a color that is a definate in a quilt...you found a pattern and that fabric came to mind. Let's say 'purple'...the pattern could be a windmill. You have to decide where you want that purple. If you want it (purple)in the background and can't decide on the points of that windmill.....I'd tell you to pull out that trusty color wheel and see what is across from purple...you would find 'yellow'....the background is a pretty large area...so, to balance the scales in a sense...you would want to put what is across the wheel from it in a larger area...being the points. This isn't a 'have to'...but, a good way to find direction. You can also remember how purple is made...blue and red...again, a good choice to continue. Just an example people:)Again, a simplified way to think color.

This Sloane's book gives you some experiments to do....and, I am going to do it myself and even challenged my local quilt group to do it and everyone is. The idea of this is to not only find what color you lean to, but, finding great combinations you would have never thought of before!! I like to step out of my box and this a good one to do it too:)
Great posts here!! (((applause!!))) Everyone's input on their thinking of color is a treasure!! And, a wealth of input!! Keep it up! Skeat