View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 03:45 PM
ManiacQuilter2
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AliKat
Before I had enough space at my home I went to a LQS or one of the churches and used their tables to layout and baste/pin/spray the layers. There was NO WAY I was going to do that on the floor. I live alone and I can just imagine someone trying to 'rescue' me when I couldn't get up by myself.

As for doing the FMQ: I have a sewing machine cabinet and then put an ironing board or small table behind the area to catch the quilt so there was no drag or distortion.

ali
It is difficult to do it at home if you don't have some sort of surface to pin baste on. The quilt that I had in the last quilt contest on the board I ended up pin basting on the floor. I will NEVER try that again. I use to pin baste at any fabric store that had a classroom. Ask when the classroom is available. I would buy any threads that I needed for quilting while there so at least they made a sale from my purchases. HANG IN THERE !! It is like anything with a learning curve. It DOES get easier the more you learn. GOOD LUCK !!! :lol: