Old 10-05-2011, 03:51 PM
Rhonda
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KastleKitty
Rhonda, this is where I started to redo the triangle squares.
Ok I see what you are talking about. Yes I can send you the 1 3/4" no problem. What I see is you need to be more careful when you place the point of the template on the seam. If it helps some people use a glue stick to dot to keep things inplace. You could try that to keep the corner on the seam. Some of your HSTs don't have an even amt of fabric on the corners of the seams.

When you cut the HSTs out do you have a mini cutting mat? I can send you one if you don't. I take a cutting mat I have used hard and I cut the corners off in about 4 to 5" squares. They make great mini mats.

Here is my method of cutting out HST
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-37915-1.htm

So when you cut out the HSTS make sure you hold the template firmly with your left hand and cut with your rt hand. Then as you turn the cutting mat make sure you don't let the template move at all. This is important for accuracy. The more accurate you can be the better and easier the piecing will be. If things are the same size you will have a better time matching the HSTs and sewing them together. A bit of prevention saves a lot of headache later on.

Did you see where I showed how I tack the Blocks together instead of using pins? This helps in your accuracy too. I do use pins but not as much. I think tacks hold it better than pins.

You can check out my tutorial on tips for making HSTs if you like. It looks like you are doing fine! As soon as you get the right size template you will be good.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-23252-1.htm

Look at the top right corner. You can see the white side of the seam is wider than the green side. They should be the same or as close as possible. This makes a big differance in how they match up and how well you keep your points. The bottom left corner is what you want them to look like.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]266867[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-266814.jpe