View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 06:33 PM
MsEithne

Originally Posted by par4theday
Whenever I see something that interests me, I make a block to experience it, or experiment with. They are all different color combinations because I want to see what it would look like in those colors. If I teach a class, I show the different stages as visual aid. As a result, I have all these different blocks that do not match. What is overwhelming is that I see each one as a quilt that I will eventually have to make. My question is this: How do you play around with blocks, without feeling like you have yet another quilt to finish? What would you all suggest that I could do with all of them? Does anyone else have this problem?
Wow, I would LOVE to have this problem!

What a great resource you have! Don't put them into quilts, keep them as samples. Maybe attach a note to the back of each block with info about what you'd repeat from that block and what you'd change. If you want to, protect your samples by binding them with a neutral binding (or overcast the edges with a neutral shade of thread).

Put them into a container with a lid on it, so you can get at them easily, pull them out, look at them, try different colour schemes against each other, etc.

A handweaver's sample book becomes one of their most useful resources. You have the foundation for the same thing, necessarily larger because block samples have to be larger than most weavijng samples.

By keeping samples, you have a table top sized reference, much easier to play with than whole quilts would be.