Thread: Fabric Dyeing
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011, 01:40 AM
MsEithne

Originally Posted by Chigger Holler Quilter
Fabric Dyeing!
I'm wondering how many of you dye your own fabrics and what methods you use. I would love to learn how, but would like to learn about different methods...so hoping you'd like to share what works best for you! Thanks yards! (maybe you can post pictures of yours fabs! I'm sure we'd all like to see them. :)
What an awesome way to add special fabs to your stash!
Me! Me!

And yeah, you'll add to your stash all right. Every single time I dye something, 10 more ideas immediately pop into my head to try, varying the time, the chemicals, the bath, the actual dyes used, etc, etc, etc.

I use fibre reactive Procion MX dyes; they have a good safety record and they are easy enough for kids to use successfully (under supervision).

I prefer low water immersion dyeing to conserve on chemicals and dye (the water savings are minimal at best but I don't live in a dry area). I like the variations and mottles that I get with LWI.

One "secret" of dyeing is that most fabrics can be overdyed 4-6 times before all the fibre dye receptor sites are used up. Some of my best fabrics have happened after I absolutely hated the first results and decided to overdye, one or more times.

And then if you add fabric markers, you can make an incredible array of unique fabrics.

You know you're addicted when it seems normal to buy fabric by the bolt (30-50 yards per bolt) for dyeing. And when it seems completely normal to buy 100+ yards at a time for the best price.

You know you're hopeless when you get together with a couple friends who dye so you can make a 2000+ yard order.