Old 10-06-2011, 03:09 AM
noveltyjunkie

You have different markets- people who want to support your cause and may put in 5 or 10 dollars no matter what the tickets cost and the people who don't know, or even care, much about your cause but might buy a ticket for a chance to win the quilt.

The trick is to sell tickets to both! I have been at charity events when I wanted to support a raffle and have been a bit blown away by the high entry level price for participation, but I have paid it and, in that situation, you probably will make more on higher priced ticket. (The situation you are planning to sell in though, does not sound like this to me.)

But for the passing person who thinks the quilt is cute and wants to take a chance on owning it, I think the psychology is quite different and you will lose sales by upping the minimum stake. Only you can know how that balance weighs up in the situations where you will be seeling tickets.

PS, if 100 people buy a ticket for 5 dollars, or 100 people buy 6 tickets for 5 dollars, each person has the same (1%) chance of winning but many of them will feel they have a better chance with multiple tickets- it doesnt make sense, but if it influences purchase, you have to bear it in mind.