Old 10-06-2011, 05:51 AM
Joanne9of12

I think there are a few things you might need to consider. For example, there have been many discussions on the board about people not understanding or appreciating the value of a hand-made quilt. If you are not selling tickets to quilters exclusively, I think you might run into some trouble with the higher pricing.

Also, if you do use the higher pricing, it might be worth the trouble and expense of getting a written appraisal of the quilt from a certified appraiser. I did that and that was helpful in selling more tickets at the higher price. Non-quilters expecially will be more willing to pay $5 per ticket if they think they might win a quilt worth $750-1000.

Finally, the one time we did have $5 tickets, we sold them for a relatively short period of time. There was a sense of urgency in buying, plus people felt that they had a better chance of winning since fewer people would be buying tickets in the long run. We had played with the idea of limiting the number of tickets sold but decided against that. We wanted to see the reaction to the higher priced tickets.

When we have our next $5/ticket raffle, we have decided to limit the number of tickets and venues at which we sell them. We did have some complain about the price, but when they saw the certified appraisal, most of them bought tickets.

Whatever you do, good luck!