Old 10-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Candace

Originally Posted by irishrose
Miriam, I had a straight stitch needle hole on my watch list on ebay and I know the Elna site has them, but I don't see where it will help with the other problem. The pressure on the presser foot is self adjusting. It can shift the top layer of fabric just a tiny bit. The walking foot is a cure for that, but neither of mine is quiet. Using the embroidery foot helps, too, because it rides a little higher than the normal foot.

Candace, you're right. Miss Elna is the quietest, strongest sounding machine I've ever been near. If I were to need her to quilt, I'd get a needle plate with a round hole and use the plastic embroidery foot. I sewed with it for several years while my presser foot was lost. In fact, last month, I made HSTs with the Elna and her metal foot by using leaders and they are perfect. I also SITD an entire lap quilt using the W foot (pre 301). The other problem - the stitch is so strong and perfect, it's a bi--- to remove. You do learn to sew carefully. I love that machine and if I could only have one, I guess she'd be it.

edit: I just played with Miss Elna and a Janome FMQ foot. Yes, she will quilt quite nicely. I don't drop my feeddogs to quilt with the 301, so there isn't much difference. A little drag because the feeddogs are higher on the Elna, but not enough to notice. Interesting.
I think this one will be on my wish list, then.

:thumbup: