View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011, 10:19 PM
MsEithne

Originally Posted by catzlaw
I wish there was a photo of it, it would make things easier. I am offering a reward too...I forgot to mention. Thank you.
Considering the story behind the quilt and the fact you are offering a reward, I think you stand a fair chance of getting at least one media outlet to fdo a "human interest" story based on it.

Put together a brief biography of your grandmother that highlights anything notable she did in her life and/or the reason she made such an impression on you. If you have a good picture of her, include a copy. Estimate the number of hours you spent creating that quilt. Give the name(s) of the police you had contact with, their professional number and whatever information they gave you. Talk about how this is irreplaceable and how your insurance company is (or isn't) handling it. Mention the reward. Do some research and see if other quilts in the area have also been stolen.

The purpose of this packet is to give to a reporter, which gives as much of the foundation for a report as possible. Ideally, all the reporter would have left to do is make a few calls to collect quotes.

Then look at your local media outlets (papers, TV, radio, etc). Figure out exactly which reporter at each outlet does stories like this; focus on reporters who write about family hardships, pets, neighbourhood issues, etc. Send your packet of information addressed to each reporter in care of the outlet they work for.

Include a cover letter that says why you believe your story might be a good one for this particular reporter to cover. You can mention other stories that reporter has done that somewhat resemble yours in some way (everyone loves to hear that their work has been noticed and appreciated).

Be sure to include your own contact telephone numbers and the easiest time(s) to reach you.

Good luck!