View Single Post
Old 10-07-2011, 06:08 AM
Farm Quilter

I think both have their place. I have a longarm but no computer, and I love doing custom quilting. I get bored doing E2E and I hate doing pantos so I just don't do them, so in a perfect world, I would have 2 longarms, one set up without a computer system and one with a computer, so I could do both at the same time.

While here in Florida, a wonderful quilty friend let me use her Proto with IQ on a 14" frame to quilt a 130"x130" quilt that would not fit on my 12" frame. I got to learn how to use the IQ while doing this quilt and really liked how user-friendly it was. It was really cool to have the IQ quilting a row while I sat at my sewing machine and pieced another quilt!

There is definitely a different skill set needed for computerized quilting as opposed to hand-guided LA quilting, but it is great for getting the pattern perfect every time - of course, placement is an issue for computerized quilting that is not a problem when I am guiding the LA - I can easily adjust to the size of the block, takes a bit more to do individual blocks with a computerized system. I will always take it as a complement if someone thinks my quilting was done by a computerized system :thumbup: