Old 10-07-2011, 06:21 AM
twinkie
Power Poster

The pre Civil War models were what sparked his interest in Antique and Vintage machines. The workmanship on these machines was stunning. You never see that kind of workmanship today. Most everything today is made with so many (plastic) parts, repairing them is really difficult when they breakdown.

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by twinkie
I am going to try to post pictures of our oldest machine. (We have 38). It is an 1852 Grover and Baker treadle with a coffin lid. It has a beautiful Walnut cabinet and the machine moves freely. It is going to have to be cleaned up and "polished". It has been in a storage unit for 6 years. The only thing we can see that it needs is "beautification and some TLC".
Oh man that looks like the one I missed out on at a auction not to long before I got sick. Yeah I would be so proud to own that machine and if you cold find the model just before that one you would have a treadle with the band wheel facing the other way. That was some really neat engineering involved in that machine and they were of super high quality!!

Billy