Thread: Favorite Breed
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2011, 09:29 PM
wvdek

Having worked in an animal shelter for almost five years, I have seen more than a few breeds come through.
I have a soft spot for German Shepherds. When I was younger, I trained one as a guard dog and he was my boy. He and I would take off in the car pulling the trailer and go up in the mtns. camping, hiking, and fishing. I never ever had a problem with anyone.

Currently though, I am very fond of Collies. My avatar is my 10 yo plus totally blind Laddie. He is the best dog, loves to run and play, chase the ball, steals my slippers and 'dig's' a hole in the carpet and bury them for a later date. If we leave them where he 'buried' them, he comes right back days later and picks it up and starts all over again. He knows my moods and reads them well. He knows when I am having a bad day and always sticks his nose under my arm for a scratch. He was a shelter dog and I love him dearly. We have a friend who still does not believe Laddie is blind because of how well he gets around. Of course, if you move furniture or park the car where it shouldn't be. he bumps his beautiful nose. If he starts running towards an object, we simply say, "easy" and he turns or stops. I even taught him to roll over about two years ago for his treats. He sleeps on the floor at the foot of my bed every night and when I get up to pee, I have to step over him or fall. If I am sick in bed, he sleeps on the floor next to me and puts his nose up every once in awhile to check on me. He has been known to try and herd the chickens and even the goat. He will attack anything that he believes will hurt his momma. One day while checking the goats hooves, Pete (the goat) got goofy and wanted to play. I finally had to 'pop' Pete on the nose and say "no" and before I knew it, Laddie was barking like crazy running at us full force. He was going to take care of whoever was hurting me. Uh oh, I wrote a book again. Sorry.