Thread: no spelling???
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011, 06:36 AM
arimuse

OK, I'm not the spelling police, and gosh knows I make mistakes posting here, BUT, I just now heard a news story where a school in pulling teaching spelling out of the curriculum in grade school!!!! They will only teach spelling based on misspelled words the kids do in regular work!

OK, for my school tax dollars this is NOT a school - just what the heck do they actually plan to teach in grade school??? They're dropping cursive writing, I guess spelling makes sense because if you can't write why spell, and it will follow - if you can't spell how can you read! so maybe that will fly out the window too.

The person representing the school's decision looked about 22 - this makes sense, too, what with the pigin english people his age now use to text. I never used to like the idea of home schooling; but now I'm seeing the best way for kids to be educated is to take that tax money and give it back to parents to home school, or home school collectively where a few families get together and school their kids in very small groups.

No more school board paychecks, superintendant's pay, all manner of admin on all levels, teachers, teachers aides, janitors, bus drivers, buses and building costs. They could also do away with the cost of state level school depts too - they do nothing but suck up tax dollars.

I'm sure kids could at least read/write/ and do math if this happened. They have an online alternative school accredited in SC called SC Connections Academy - they had a yahoo group I joined because I was curious about how this works. It seems to work just fine! Its online, you get all books and materials per school year shipped to you free and can return all for free at the end of the year - your kids learn at their own speed, they have real teacher inter action online for all subjects so you're not all alone trying to teach your child, and they take tests that show their proficiency.

Man, this no spelling just leaves me fabbergasted! sharet