Old 10-08-2011, 06:55 AM
flawhoopi

[quote=Nanasrcool]I am new to quilting. I finished my quilt top and it turned out great. I wanted to do some freemotion stippling on the outer perimeter and watched video after video and even read a few books. I started practicing. EVERY time the same thing. The top thread ends up with a huge nest on the underside of the quilt. Even at best I have a large loose loop of the top thread on the bottom. I have adjusted the tension in small amounts from +3 to -3 and NOTHING has helped. I have left the feed dogs up (have a supreme slider in place so it wont move the fabric) because one instructor said this might help and it made no difference. I have a singer 7426. Does anyone else this model or a singer that can help me shed some light on a solution here. There is no way to adjust anything on here but thread tension, stitch length

Always set your stitch length to "0". Your machine is putting out too much thread for each stitch. Once you set your stitch to 0 recheck your tension. But if you forget to lower you pressure foot that too will mess up your stitches big time.