View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011, 09:21 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

I don't know about Warm and White. I no longer use Warm and Natural because I don't like the stiffness of the drape. In general I stay away from battings that are needlepunched through scrim for that reason.

Hobs 80/20 is a wonderful batting if you like a little loft. It is very soft and machine quilts beautifully. Shrinkage is about 3%, which is a typical shrinkage amount for the soft crinkled look in quilts.

Quilter's Dream cotton is a flatter batting that is also very good. 3% shrinkage. It is needlepunched, but not through scrim, which makes the cotton stable but not stiff. It is typically a lower loft than Hobbs 80/20.

My personal favorite is Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon 100% cotton batting. This is a very traditional thin batting that is not needlepunched, so it needs to be quilted very closely (about 2 inches apart). This batting produces a quilt very similar to antique quilts.

All of these battings are easy to machine quilt. The cotton in them helps the batting "stick" to the fabric so you don't get shifting. They also take spray basting easily (a big plus for me!).

These are the only three brands of batting I will purchase. There may be other good ones out there, but I've noticed that many of the "off" brands, including generic ones on rolls in the store, often don't feel right to me. I don't want to go to a lot of work only to be unhappy with the batting quality.