Old 07-12-2009, 07:51 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Maride
I see the direction of the quilt and understand your feelings about it. I agree with the suggestion of unsewing. I would take three rows off one side and add them to the bottom. You will need to completely take them apart down to the blocks to be able to change the direction of the birds. After you are happy with that, you can then add as many borders as you want. I would even add another fabric with hummingbirds all the way around. This fabric can be of the same family of colors. There are tons of hummingbirds out there. Another thought and this is just me, I would add a small black border around it, add more rows with the different hummingbirds, and add another row of black this time a little wider, and so on, until my last row was black. I find that adding back is elegant (since the background of the hummingbirds is black) and makes it look like you planned it that way.

When a customer ask me for a lap quilt I always ask how many laps.
The general rule I tend to see is that single people ask for a lap quilt for one lap, therefore longer than wide, Newly weds and young couples ask for a large lap quilt to cover both laps, therefore square. Older couples ask for two lap quits, but looking exactly the same, therefore they are still toghether and connected, but each under their own space.

Maria
That's cute about "how many laps"

Another thought - maybe find a floral print that is compatible - and use that - or if you take it apart (some) start alternating the birds with the flowers and then on the last row, just use flowers.

So that if B stood for Birds and F stands for flowers, the end result might be sort of like this

F F F F F F
F B F B F
F B B B B F
F B B B F
F B B B B F
F B F B F
F F F F F F

(Hope the grid stays when I submit this)

You could do some figuring on graph paper to make it come out right

May as well be as happy as you can be with it while it's still (comparatively) easy to change.

The direction of the hummingbirds really is very subtle and I wouldn't have noticed until you mentioned it, but YOU know which way they are flying.

(The grid didn't stay the way I submitted it at first, but maybe you get the idea, anyway)