Thread: Quilted cars
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2009, 02:49 PM
dunster
Power Poster

I belong to a quilt guild in Lebanon, Oregon. These are pictures of my guild's quilted van and the Jefferson guild's quilted car parked outside Stitchin' Post during yesterday's Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show. These vehicles drew a lot of attention. Most people stopped to ask questions and take pictures. I thought you might be interested in some of the story behind these quilted cars.

The van's quilt was made completely from orphan blocks donated by guild members. The blocks were pressed, sandwiched with batting and backing, and lightly quilted. Then blocks were sewn together and fitted to the van. The van quilt is in 3 pieces (front, back, and middle) that are held together with velcro. See-through netting covers the windows. The van can be driven with the quilt on it, slowly, for parades.

We think the "first" quilted car was made by a guild in Florida. A lady from the Jefferson guild made her car quilt (which covers a PT Cruiser). Several members of our guild worked on the van's quilt over a year's time, taking a long break because of the Oregon winter weather. We believe there are possibly another half dozen car quilts in the U.S.

quilted car
[ATTACH=CONFIG]37183[/ATTACH]

quilted van
[ATTACH=CONFIG]40252[/ATTACH]

quilted van
[ATTACH=CONFIG]40318[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-37183.jpe   attachment-40252.jpe   attachment-40318.jpe