Old 10-09-2011, 10:45 AM
kit'smamma

I gather that I'm a lot older than those who've posted. During end of depression and WWII with rationing and no $$ my brother and I always had, not only the orange in the stocking but new tooth brush, comb, some walnuts to shell and other items of usefulness. Under the tree would be pjs, winter underwear, socks etc. Mom always knit a new pair of mittens for us. How I remember leaving a note for Santa telling him that I was too grown up for dolls so he shouldn't leave any doll clothes. Of course my long suffering mother had been up til midnight for nights before making a lovely dress of some taffeta from a dress I'd outgrown for my favorite doll. I remember very clearly that it was white with tiny pink roses. Along with the dress there was a pink hand knit sweater with pearl buttons. I'm 74 and my dear mother died in 1964 and I'd still like to apologize. I suppose I did in a way because I played with that doll all day that Christmas and for several years afterward. Among her few souvenirs found after she died was that letter so I think she and Pop had a good chuckle over the incident. I certainly hope so.