View Single Post
Old 10-09-2011, 12:06 PM
ckcowl
Power Poster

the best thing to do at first is...
when you go to the grocery store- or wally world- stop at the magazine rack and browse them for a few minutes- pick up each one and thumb through it- see if one really (grabs you) has projects you think you would enjoy- look the patterns over- do you understand them?
check to see if they offer a variety of easy, to advanced projects-
some magazines offer all easy patterns- you might find it's the same ole thing over and over- some offer a variety - a good mixture- some have almost all advanced-
but only you can really determine what your level is- or what interests you
some have more kids quilts- bright novelties-
some have more grown up projects- some make scrappy quilts- when you can add 1 or 2 to your grocery cart- take them home and really spend time with them--after a few months of this you will find yourself (radiating) toward a certain one more often than others---that's the one you might want to subscribe to.
there is no sense in subscribing to my favorite magazine if there's nothing in it you ever want to make.
over the years i've subscribed to half a dozen quilting magazines- this past year i canceled all of my subscriptions- it had reached the point where they simply stack up- i haven't actually made anything out of one in years...so i still love looking at them (great inspiration!) but now i simply pick one up when one catches my eye at the rack-has saved me lots of $$ doing it that way.