Old 10-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

I think you really need to narrow down what you want.

For an RV, I would want simply a nice, small, lightweight, portable sewing machine to piece on. I'd probably pre-cut all the pieces and pack them into kits, piecing quilt tops while on the road.

The quilting machine setup would be for home, where you have the space to work comfortably. Again, I would want to have a machine on the frame that I could leave up at all times. I would not want to have to move a machine off the frame in order to piece.

Next thing to decide is do you want to sit down or stand up? The George and one other setup (can't recall the name at the moment) are good options for small spaces. It's sit-down machine quilting on a machine that is specifically designed for sit-down free motion quilting. It doesn't take nearly as much space as the longarm setups.

In terms of keeping price down, have you considered building your own frame? Here's one to consider:
http://buildaquiltingframe.weebly.com/index.html
The only decision you have to make for this frame is which size machine head you will use on it (the carriage needed for the deep throat machines is bigger).

With this approach I think you could fulfill all of your needs (home piecing, home quilting, RV piecing) and still remain within budget. It's a good way to start. If, after a year or two, you find you absolutely *love* long-arm quilting, you can upgrade to a professional type of system. (For this, I personally would probably start by considering a complete Innova setup; however, I doubt I will ever get that far!)

Also, you might want to join the homequiltingsystems group on Yahoo! for additional advice. There are tons of quilters there with Bailey machines and other machines who can give you all of the pro's and con's. Every machine and every system has both! The rule-of-thumb advice on that group is to give yourself one complete year to research and try out different systems before investing in one. Several people there admitted they bought expensive setups and then were paralyzed for years, unable to use them, because they were completely intimidated. You need to get something that you will be comfortable using from the get-go.

Edit: I could be wrong, but I think any really good machine for a frame setup is not going to have decorative stitches. That's one reason I recommend getting a separate machine for the frame and for piecing. It's pretty easy to get decorative stitches on a home machine.