Thread: Drawing and FMQ
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2011, 02:45 PM
fayzer

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom
I read a post earlier today that made me stop and think. The poster said, and this isn't an exact quote, "If you can't draw with a pencil you won't be able to draw with a sewing machine." :shock:

I have all the technical aspects of FMQ down. My practice sandwiches are pucker free, stitch length is fairly even throughout. Yet, they still look like crap because I can't draw my way out of a paper sack and have never had the ability. I honestly didn't realize how much being able to draw mattered! No wonder FMQ has been an exercise in frustration for me. Even my stippling and meandering has the look of something being tortured.
I'm going shopping for stencils.
Don't give up. I paint and draw and my FMQ looks like heck. No amount of practice has helped. I have been working on my DGD's queen size quilt today. Nothing but problems. Thread fraying, needles breaking. Finally stopped and am drinking a mango margarita. Maybe things won't look so bad when I go back to work on it. My biggest problem is the small harp on my Bernina. Unfortunately, I cannot buy a new, bigger machine.