Thread: Quilt in a hoop
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2011, 02:53 PM
lovinquilting

Originally Posted by grann of 6
Originally Posted by lovinquilting
Maybe I need to be clearer. Quilt in a hoop is a method where all of the blocks are totally pieced and quilted in your embroidery hoop. All edges become part of 1/4 inch seams so there is no embroidery necessary to hide unfinished seams. The full explanation of the process is at:

http://quiltinthehoop.com/index.php/...in-the-concept

It looks very interesting and I was just wondering if anyone on the board had tried it yet. While the word cheating may have appeared negative, it certainly wasn't meant to be. I know personally I love cutting and piecing my blocks and thought this method although fascinating, is "cheating" because your embroidery machine is doing the work for you.
Yes, I have done it. I just find it more time consuming than assembling a quilt square the conventional way. You are doing a lot of double stitching, takes a lot of thread, etc. It is no more cheating than sewing a quilt by machine rather than by hand. We have so many options to us these days, that not trying them all out is cheating ourselves of maybe a new way of doing something. I love the ability to experiment with a new facet of our wonderful craft.

Thank you!