View Single Post
Old 10-09-2011, 03:26 PM
SeamRipper

The fabric store closest to me, the one I have gone to since my nose could rest in the cutting groove of the table when I was 3, the store with over 9,000 bolts of fabric, the one where I went when I first started quilting 7 years ago, the store where I work...is closing.
Not due to a lack of business, in fact, it is a hopping place with world-wide customers. But because a discount grocery store bought the building that we call home. For three weeks I, along with my co-workers, have been explaining over the phone, by email, and to customers in the store why we are closing. My heart aches.
We have made so many friends with regular customers. Ladies that drive three hours to come see us once a month and customers that come in once a week to see what is new. I have helped make fabric selections, shared tips, encouraged new quilters, and marveled over completed projects.
I called this my mental health job. How many people actually love their job? I will miss my co-workers, seeing all the new fabric as it comes in, and planning projects with customers. I will also miss the donuts from downstairs, although my hips won't.
We are still hoping for a miracle. I am hoping for a miracle, but in the meantime, I just cry.