Thread: Quilt in a hoop
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2011, 08:23 PM
MsEithne

Originally Posted by lovinquilting
Maybe I need to be clearer. Quilt in a hoop is a method where all of the blocks are totally pieced and quilted in your embroidery hoop. All edges become part of 1/4 inch seams so there is no embroidery necessary to hide unfinished seams. The full explanation of the process is at:

http://quiltinthehoop.com/index.php/...in-the-concept

It looks very interesting and I was just wondering if anyone on the board had tried it yet. While the word cheating may have appeared negative, it certainly wasn't meant to be. I know personally I love cutting and piecing my blocks and thought this method although fascinating, is "cheating" because your embroidery machine is doing the work for you.
It's a variation on foundation piecing.

I would think the main drawback would be that you're limited to the designs the computer in your machine has. As I understand it, people can program their own designs into their embroidery machines but not everyone has the skills or inspiration to do so.

Then again, I've known people for whom their embroidery machine is like an extension of their own hands. I think for people with that sort of skill and interest level, this would be a great way to do foundation piecing.