Old 07-13-2009, 06:47 AM
grammatjr

The wonky star is a foundation piece. Cut the star in thirds horizontally, and the sections have 3 pieces each. As I said, she sewed very acurately on the lines, then we trimmed to where it said to trim, and sewed the 3 sections together. Even when I made this block, it didn't come out square at the end. Maybe I just need to leave alot of extra fabric hanging around until after the 3 sections are sewn together, then trim? Anyway, after the block was together, we layered with muslin and batting, then did a zig zag to stabilize the block so as she attached the beads, it wouldn't pull apart. I figured I will then do a sew as you go thing, and sew each block top together, and meld the batting, and muslin. Then attach the star blocks to the backing, quilting as I go, that way the bead stitches don't show on the back either. I can do some extra quilting around the stars once it is all put together. Isa did a great job, she was so excited to do it, all the kids (except the 3 year old) love to sew. She got into the fun, and wanted to sew the letters all crooked, up and down, side ways, etc. But, I was afraid that the stitching would show too much, so suggested we could get crazy by not lining up the words, but have each word straight. While I want them to do a part of the quilt, and I am not fretting too much about show quality (thus I will not redo the blocks that I had to add little pieces to make them "square"), I still want it to look fairly nice.