View Single Post
Old 10-09-2011, 11:26 PM
MacThayer

Unique Designer has some good advice. To that I would also add, join the Quilters Club of America. There are two levels, the free kind and the Premium Club (which is about $29). Try the free level for a while, and see how you like it. I'm a Premium Member, and honestly, with all of the "perks", I've more than made my money back. You get 10% discounts on several great quilting shops, like Keepsake Quilting, Jo Ann's Fabrics, and several others that escape me at the moment. I've made the $29 back just in those discounts! And the discounts are for everything in the store, not just fabric. Plus Keepsake Quilting just offered free shipping for one order, plus the discount. Plus you get access to on line quilting TV. Plus there's a wonderful book shop with a ton of quilting books, priced decently, and if they're not, wait a bit and the price will come down. You'll get 25% off the listed price on everything. Don't join a book club. Like Unique Designer, I joined a book club, and even though I received some great books, I ended up spending way too much money on stuff I didn't need -- or end up wanting. With the American Quilting Club Bookstore, there is no minimum number of books to buy, unlike a book club. And at their site, there are tons of free quilt patterns put out by various companies for you to download, and some of them are just gorgeous!

Get on e-Bay, and search for quilt patterns. Even if all you do is look, you're going to find some quilt patterns that have been out of print for a while, and everything from beginner to advanced. I like those because they're different from what everyone is making now. Plus it's a great place to gain ideas. There are quilt patterns of every kind there. If you want one, most go for less than $1.00, plus shipping. If you buy more than 1 pattern from the same seller, you can get combined shipping, which is much cheaper. There are also plenty of inexpensive books and booklets there too, so look them over. I just picked up a book on How to Learn Fondation piecing that normally sells for $26, and I got it for $9.99 with free shipping.

If you're desperate to get something "put together", there are "pre-cut quilting blocks" on e-Bay. Search under those terms: Pre-cut quilting blocks. That will allow you to start at the point of already having the block cut out, and the directions on how to put it together right there. I've used them when I've had to come up with something fast. The cuts are perfect. The variety is awesome. Some of those blocks are truly beautiful. Then when I have the blocks put together, it's up to me how to put them together -- wide sashing? Narrow sashing? No sashing? Sashing as a quiet background, or a vivid frame. Border or no? Needs binding, batting, quilt back and quilting. So it's not as if it takes away all of the work, or the creativity involved in the decisions. Basically it just does the cutting for you, and creates the blocks. There is no way you could buy all of the fabric needed to cut out all of these blocks, for what you pay for them. Plus you don't have to cut it. Yeah! And it's very much precision cut, so that's a real bonus for a Newbie, or someone who just doesn't have the time to do the precision cutting, but needs to get a project done. I just picked up a kit for twelve 10" blocks, and it contains 144 individually cut pieces. Can you imagine how long it would take to cut that many pieces by hand? And since each block of the 12 blocks is slightly different, Imagine what I would spend in fabric. Yet I bought the whole thing for $27.99 and free shipping. I get to pick out the batting and backing and do the sashing, backing, binding and quilting. I did one once before, and it came together in 3 days! It was awesome! Really got me "jumpstarted" when I needed that.

Join a "Block of the Month Club". I think the one on this Board doesn't cost anything (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), and that will prompt you to start creating something out of the fabrics you have, and thus practicing and learning every month. Don't stop at one. Keep making the quilt block until you get it down perfectly. Use "practice material" until you can do it perfectly, cutting and sewing both, and then make a final one using good material (or more than one using good material, your choice, if you like the block. Every block teaches you something important about quilting.)

The point is, you must find something you like to "jump-start" your quilting, and it will take over from there. I remember being a Newbie, and I started with the advantage of having been a seamstress, but I was paralyzed when it came to quilting because quilting is so much different that just sewing. So take all of this information, and then you must start putting it into use.

Best Wishes for a successful quilting future.