Old 10-10-2011, 06:25 AM
Minnisewta

We get together on Christmas Eve with my brothers family. To cut down on buying gifts we came up with a plan. Each year we exchange names with everyone so we have just 1 gift to buy. We have a different theme every year and the gift has to fit into this theme. Here are some of themes we have had. The object must start with the first letter of your name, it must have something to do with the outdoors or each person was assigned a color. This year it is recycle, reuse,repurpose. But you also have to be creative with the wrapping also. It wrapping also has to fit into the theme. An example was the year my niece has her Dads name which starts with the letter "B". My niece gave her Dad a Bottle of British Beer wrapped in a Brown Bag from Bloomingdales. Sometimes the wrapping is more fun then the gifts. We have had 3 kids get married in the last 16 months so it's going to start getting harder to have everyone there but we are going to try and keep doing it. We have found that we end up getting nicer, more usable gifts since doing this. I have a friend that had the theme of who could spend the least for a gift. For a year every time her mother-in -law came to visit she asked if she could bring a can of beer home with her. On Christmas she gave her gift of 12 cans of beer none of which she paid for. I guess she was the winner. It's the high light of my year to buy my gift for Christmas Eve.