Thread: How to applique
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 10:08 AM
frannella

Originally Posted by CindyGruen
I've seen some appliques where the stitching shows on the fabric. How do I know if it's supposed to show or not?
Cindy--I highly recommend Sharon Pederson's "Rose of Sharon" video. You can catch glimpses on YouTube and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kStGk...eature=related>.

"The Rose of Sharon" video is a first rate visual tutorial on the basics, options, and techniques of applique...Very instructive. She also offers another tutorial which I haven't seen --" Applique for the Terrified Quilter, but it's on my wish list.

I think the upshot is a quilter's personal preferences and aesthetics, and possibly a consideration of how much use/washing the quilt will get--I think turning under a 1/4-inch seam holds up better than raw-edge applique.

Regardless, turn under 1/4-inch seam with invisible or decorative machine stitching, raw edge completely encased in satin stitching (especially suited for very small applique pieces), hand sew, etc., etc.--are all viable options. Sharon recommended a combination of techniques in the construction of the Roses of Remberance quilt featured on her video....