Thread: How to applique
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 10:43 AM
dd

My applique method is different from these. I have photocopied my patterns onto index paper(stiffer), I'm doing Sunbonnet Sue and Overalls Andy.
I lay the pattern face down on my fabric and cut a 1/4" allowance to turn under. I then turn that under with the iron with the pattern on the fabric. You may have to clip curves and points. I think sharp point like star points are the hardest. If you starch your fabric first it works even easier. When they are cool you can take the pattern out the turned under edged stays put, pretty much. I then pin them to the fabric and stitch them down. Make sure you have the pieces layered properly - feet under dress, bonnet over dress.... You can use the buttonhole stitch to applique them down, if you want but remember that is going to be seen so make sure they are even.
You can find a book in the library with instruction too. While videos are good, I like being able to refer back to a pic when I need it. I have dial up and it just takes too long. I just finished appliqueing my SBS and now I need to sew the squares together.