Old 10-10-2011, 01:27 PM
DogHouseMom

My husband and I invented a game several years ago, and we played again last night, thought I would share as I know we have lot's of moms of young kids and teachers out here.

For teaching I'm sure you can improvise this a bit. My husband and I make a contest out of it.

Player 1 picks a subject - any subject in the world. Let's say ... Quilting! They then go into Wikipedia.com on the PC and go to the quilting page. They have not told player 2 what their subject is.

Player 2 picks another subject. Let's say Winston Churchill. Player 2 tells player 1 what the subject is.

Player 1 now has to navigate from "Quilting" on Wikipedia to "Winston Churchill" on Wikipedia ONLY using the blue hyperlinks within Wikipedia.

Once navigated, player 1 counts the number of subjects they've "hopped" through to get to Winston Churchill. I just did it in THREE navigations!! (quilting to plate armor, to WWII, to Churchill!)

Now it becomes a contest. Player two will begin at Winston Churchill and player 1 will pick a new subject for player two to navigate to. Each player will begin at the subject the other player ended at.

Think if it as 7 degress to Kevin Bacon - with an encylopedia and any subject in the world.

Except ... the "teaching" part comes in because if you are anything like me and my husband, you don't just navigate through these pages, you READ them. The teaching is also in knowing which links will best be used to bring you to the right place.

Enjoy!!!