Old 10-11-2011, 03:32 AM
pinkCastleDH

So, I promised SWMBO a new cabinet for the Juki 2010Q that we just bought and now it's time to start figuring out what it will be like.

What she has already requested:
- A fold-out return like her older Koala cabinet.
- A drop leaf off-feed extension.
- A lift mechanism and fold-in top so the sewing machine can be completely stowed away when not in use.

Unless someone presents pressing reasons to do it differently I plan to make it out of some white oak that I have sitting around. Definitely no termite barf (MDF); plywood is a possibility if there are very compelling reasons to go for straight panels rather than framed panels.

All of that leaves a lot of the design to be decided, though.

How large should it be - both front-to-back and side-to-side, both folded up and extended? My thought is to have the needle just barely left-of-centered on the knee opening but that's just a thought.

Should additional storage be included to the left of the knee opening? There's none on her current cabinet but this one will probably be a fair bit longer so maybe adding something would be good. Neither of us is all that excited about drawers but I saw pictures of a slide out thread/bobbin holder that might help her stay organized.

How much area is useful to the right of the machine? To me that seems like dead space - on the Koala there's an inset caddy there but I doubt I'll do something like that unless it turns out a lot of people really like them.

Those are just the questions that I know to ask - they certainly don't preclude other suggestions that I didn't even think about. Of the initial requirements the only one I'd say is absolutely hard-and-fast is the ability to completely stow the machine in the cabinet to avoid prying paws. Even if you don't think your ideal cabinet would suit SWMBO, please tell us what you do/don't like and why - we may be heading the wrong direction and don't even know that a better option is possible.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/critiques!