Thread: How to applique
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2011, 06:06 AM
nanna-up-north

I used to hate applique.... it never turned out like I wanted. Then I learned a technique that works for me. I trace out the pattern twice on freezer paper. I number the different pieces that will be different fabrics. I cut out one of my tracings and iron them to the fabric's right side. Then I can trim about 1/8"-1/4" larger than the pattern. I use fabric glue to fold the excess under. Since the freezer paper is there, I can see exactly where the edge needs to be folded under. I have used glue sticks and liquid glue.... both work okay. I always use the same color thread as the fabric (that can mean using many colors of thread for one block) so that the thread doesn't show much and I use a small blind stitch to attach the applique to the background fabric. I LOVE doing applique now.... can take it with me to work while I wait a the doctor's office, etc. Good luck with whatever method you choose.

I almost forgot..... the 2nd pattern that I cut out is a great guide to place the pieces on the background fabric..... it turns out looking like it is supposed to look that way.